Saturday, May 30, 2020

Our Pandemic Baby: The Birth of Christian James

My pregnancy with him was easy, mostly characterized by mental clarity and the building of good physical and organizational habits. I ate well, exercised well, organized my home well. I felt good. During my third trimester, the SARS-CoV2 virus blossomed in the USA. I began teaching online with less than a week’s notice. My fourteen month-old was home full time. My husband was home full time. We worshiped at home. We struggled, like everyone else, to find toilet paper, yeast, and normal cleaning supplies, but mostly we were not severely affected by the pandemic. I worried that Jim would not be able to be with me when I gave birth, and we briefly considered home birth but ultimately decided to continue with our plan to have our baby in the hospital where we’d had our firstborn.

He was due on Monday, May 18. Sunday evening, just before his due date, I noticed a shift in contractions away from typical Braxton Hicks contractions to more labor-like contractions. Because I had labored for 59 hours with my first, I settled in for the long haul. The contractions continued for the next several days, waking me at night, feeling perhaps a little stronger every day. By Wednesday, I was getting concerned about my mental stamina. I was weary, and what I thought was early labor had pressed into more than 60 hours. I knew we were walking into a holiday weekend, and I knew that my contractions with Susan never did become more regular, even during active labor, so I wanted some guidance about how to proceed if I hadn’t met the classic labor signs that are supposed to be the signal to head to the hospital. “If you think you’ve been laboring for that long, go on to the hospital now,” was the answer we received. We decided to wait until Thursday morning so that Jim, at least, could get a good night’s sleep.

We left home at 9:00AM on Thursday. I cried as I told Susan goodbye. I was so sad thinking that I was leaving her, to return days later and turn her little world upside down. And yet, I was 85 hours into what I would later learn was non-productive prodromal labor instead of true early labor. I was weary. I was ready to bring our new baby into the world.

The labor and delivery unit was very busy when we got there. We had our temperatures taken at the door and had masks handed to us at the L&D check-in counter. We spent no time in a waiting room, but were sent directly to triage. Our triage nurse was kind, encouraging, and calm even though she was extremely busy. I had not made any detectable progress since my OB appointment three days earlier, so she called my OB to confer about my case. They decided to monitor my contractions for an hour and then re-check. Still, no progress. Another call to the OB. Unknown to us, he was in the operating room, so we waited a long time. During that wait, my contractions became harder and started coming regularly – about every 2.5 minutes. I started dilating more quickly. When my OB called back, they decided to admit me. And then, everything slowed down. My contractions became erratic and wimpy.

Before the end of the work day, my OB visited me in my L&D room. He wasn’t on call that night, but he assured me that the on-call OB was good. “It’s up to you,” he said. “If you want us to augment your labor, Dr. Wyatt will deliver you tonight. If you want to labor slowly all night, I’ll deliver you tomorrow. I’ll tell Wyatt it’s your call.” I really love how laid back my OB is about these things. Jim and I talked through our decision. I knew from experience with Susan’s birth that I wasn’t interested in Pitocin unless I also had an epidural. Ultimately, we decided to go for Pitocin with an epidural. Everything was started by 8:20 PM. Based on my previous experience, I expected my labor to still take several hours – in fact, I thought it was quite possible that my regular OB would deliver me in the morning, even with the augmentation.

Three hours later, at 11:34 PM, I had dilated to 8 centimeters, and the nurse was telling me to let her know when I felt like pushing. My epidural was good, but not as effective as the one I had with Susan, so I was feeling some pain with my contractions. As soon as she walked out of the room, I felt the first pushing contraction. “No way,” I thought. I waited for a few minutes before telling her what I felt. Sure enough, I was completely dilated when she checked me at 11:57 PM. Dr. Wyatt was in the OR, so I breathed through contractions as best I could while my nurse got things ready. I told her I thought it might take me a while because I pushed for three hours with Susan. She told me that she was pretty sure it wouldn’t take nearly that long this time. By the time she had everything ready, Dr. Wyatt was there and I was so glad. I don’t think I could have kept from pushing much longer.

My pushing and birth this time was one of the most exhilarating things I’ve ever done. Because my epidural was not as effective as my first, I could feel a lot of what was happening. I loved that. It wasn’t comfortable, but it was so empowering to work with the sensations and to listen to my body. I knew when his head was born, his shoulders, and then there was the relieving squish as the rest of his body was born. I pushed for ten minutes - maybe. I kind of lost track of time. I loved the encouragement I received from the nurses, doctor, and my husband. It was kind of like I had my own team of cheerleaders. They were so enthusiastic, so encouraging.

I heard Jim telling me that Christian James had arrived – we didn’t know his sex until he was born. I cried. I wish I could describe the intensity of emotions in those moments just after birth. I remember the same when my first was born. I was so tired, so happy to be done with that hard work, and so very happy to meet my baby.
Chris, like Susan, was Coombs positive, which put him at high risk for jaundice. I anticipated that this time, so I worked hard on nursing him regularly in the first few hours to encourage him to have bowel movements to clear the bilirubin from his system. Even with my efforts, Chris ended up under UV lights to help his body clear the bilirubin. We stayed an extra day in the hospital. Because of pandemic protocol, no one could come to see us – including our sixteen and a half month-old daughter. We missed her so much.

We brought Chris home on Sunday, May 24. We loved reuniting with our daughter. We enjoyed six more days of my mother’s help and company. Susan had bonded with her so well, and I loved watching their relationship grow. We’re home alone as a family of four now. Jim goes back to work on campus on Monday, and I’ll go to work as the only parent at home during the day during this summer. I admit that being outnumbered by children under two years of age feels overwhelming to me, but I’m excited to see what God does in my heart and character as I learn to parent these two precious people. I’ll be praying lots for His Spirit to dwell in me and produce good fruit.

Birth is exciting. It’s a beautiful blend of beginning and end. The end of the hard work of pregnancy, the beginning of a life outside the womb. I’m thankful for the respite from growing a child in my body. I’m excited to watch Chris’ life unfold. I’m grateful for my sweet little family. May God grant us the wisdom and strength to parent these two children well.

No comments: