Wednesday, January 13, 2016

So, How's Married Life?


“How is married life?” It’s the question every new couple hears everywhere they go. We hear it the most from people who have been married a good while. Some people are asking a genuinely concerned question – they want to support you through the struggle of new marriage. Others use it as filler, just like “Hey, how are you?” Still others give the impression that they want to hear the exuberant gush of, “Oh! Married life is AMAZING! I’ve never been this fulfilled, happy, or well-adjusted!” Sometimes, I want to respond with, “I’d be happy to tell you about my marriage, but you go first! How is your marriage these days?”


Honestly, I’m happy to talk about marriage with people who really want to talk about it. I think it would be good for us to be more open with each other. This post seems a little silly to write, because I’m confident that anyone who is married will completely understand the things that I’m going to say. Here are some of the responses that I am tempted to give when people ask how married life is…


1) I’m tired all of the time.
We’ve been married for almost two months, and I’m still not sleeping as deeply as I did when I didn’t share a bed. I’m sleeping; even sleeping all night – but I’m just more aware of my surroundings while I’m sleeping than I was before we got married. The weeks of adjusting to sleeping in the same bed with another human are hard.

 
2) Where did all of this laundry come from???
Yes, I’m well aware that there will be even more laundry after we decide to have children. Yes, I know that I will look back at right now and wonder why I was overwhelmed by the laundry. My reality is, though, that the laundry is overwhelming to me right now. I’ll adjust, and then I’ll adjust again when we have kids. But right now, I’m not adjusted yet, so the laundry is hard.
 

3) I always feel like I’m failing to meet the expectations I have for myself.
This is true even outside of marriage, but marriage provides a whole new arena for Satan to tempt me with feelings of failure. I’m writing a doctoral dissertation right now, and each day I fail to write as much as I planned to write that day. My desk is messier than I want to have it. I can’t find time to do the experiments my mentor wants me to keep doing. Each day, I leave work having failed to meet my expectations for the day. I pack up my feelings of inadequacy and walk right in the door with them. My husband asks, “Did you have a productive day?” A wave of guilt washes over me, and I snap back, “No. I just couldn’t get it all done. And now I have to make dinner and do a million things around here tonight.” Another wave of guilt, and “I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have snapped. I’m just overwhelmed,” finds its way out of my mouth. “I understand. How can I help?” he asks. You see, my husband is a very good man and he loves me a lot. His offer makes me feel even guiltier, because I want to serve him by filling all of those traditionally female roles. I enjoy making breakfast for him each morning. It gives me real pleasure to see his dresser full of laundry that I washed and folded and put away. I want to be able to do everything. (I’m going to blog later about that offer of help making me feel a negative emotion, and what that communicates to him – I’m learning to be grateful instead of guilty).

Marriage is giving me a new area to learn that “good enough” is sometimes ok. When another person is involved, though, “good enough” feels like complete failure. Like everyone else in 21st century America, I have a weird perception of what marriage is supposed to be. I tried to correct that before I was married, but I’m still correcting it now that I am married. Marriage doesn’t make you perfect overnight. In fact, marriage is this incredibly clear mirror in which you are enabled to see flaws in yourself that you never knew were there. Thankfully, I am married to a man who loves me flaws and all. That doesn’t stop me from being overwhelmed by the flaws I see in myself.


4) I had no idea that we would fight so much about sleep
My husband and I have opposite internal body clocks. I am done for by 10 PM, and he’s just getting started. We’ve gone to bed together since we got married, and I try to get up thirty minutes to an hour before he does (that happens probably 50% of the time – more fodder for the guilt flame to eat up…). I’m ready for bed at 10, and he’s ready to pop in a movie. We both feel like we’ve compromised on bedtimes, but our compromises are still discrepant.


5) I’m still learning how to pray for my marriage.
Prayer has always been a struggle for me. For some reason, it’s one of the hardest Christian habits for me to maintain. With a fledgling marriage on board, learning to pray feels more urgent.


6) The struggle is what makes marriage good.
I have heard a metaphor in which lives are likened to brick walls. When a marriage begins, each wall is taken apart, brick by brick. Then, some of the bricks are discarded. Most of them, however, are used to build a single wall out of the pieces that made up two. There are lots of “best parts” to early marriage, but one of my very favorites is the connection I feel after a difficult conversation. When we’ve put in the hard work to take down more pieces of our individual walls and find out where they fit together in our new one, it feels good. It feels like we’re going to make it. It feels like, just maybe, one of these days, we’ll have our wall put together.
 
So, here’s the real answer to “How’s married life?” It’s hard. It’s wonderful. It’s a struggle. It’s fulfilling. It’s eye-opening. I need you to pray for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Every.Single.Thing. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you just posted. In my experience (obviously limited, as well) this is all completely normal. It is hard, but that sense of constantly striving to make it better for both of you is what makes marriage a unique and wonderful relationship. And hang in there with writing...we are all pulling for you! <3