Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas!


Christmas morning has arrived. In so many homes, little ones have awakened their parents with excitement, dragging them out of bed to join them in merriment beneath the magical tree. Today, I’m in my grandparents’ home, surrounded by adults, so no one did any dragging. We’ve enjoyed a quiet morning of pleasant conversation and coffee. I’m so glad I chose to come to Nebraska for Christmas. The only thing missing is my immediate family, but I know they are having fun without me (complete with being dragged out of bed by the young ones).


Yesterday, we took a visit to the Durham museum in Omaha, which used to be a bustling train station, and where the largest Christmas tree in the city resides each year.  My mother and grandparents took me to the museum many times as a child, but I haven’t been there in years. As I walked through the museum yesterday, my mind’s eye saw both the bustling train station of yesteryear, and my past self wandering through the old trains. My grandfather works as a docent there now, and he is a wonderful wealth of information. I love that.

While I’m content and happy with my family today, I know there are many whose happiness today is dimmed by the loss of a loved one. If you know someone who has suffered loss, that loss is especially hard during the holidays. Be extra thoughtful. Give them an extra hug. Love them a little bit more right now. They need that. If you are someone who has suffered that loss, my extra hug goes out to you, and you are in my thoughts.

Have a happy day, everyone. Cherish those close to you. Remember that relationships are so important – more important than careers or houses or things. Hold those people just a little tighter and seek to have happier, more loving, more fulfilled relationships over the next year. Love to all!

2 comments:

Jim Rodenbeck said...

I don't miss being awakened early on Christmas morning, especially since I've had midnight mass gigs the past few years. Thank you for sharing the warmth of your thoughts with the world. I'm glad to hear that you enjoying time with family as I will be doing later on. Merry Christmas, Stacey!

Mom to Anyone said...

Oh, and for the record, we pathetic parents were awake (early) before the kiddos, and since we both have compromised various bones there was no jumping this year. Kind of sad really.